Re: st: deriving a bootstrap estimate of a difference between two weighted regressions

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: deriving a bootstrap estimate of a difference between two weighted regressions
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:09:33 -0400

For your example, I think that the difference in ATT and ATC is equal
to the difference in the weighted sample means for treatment and
control, with weights w = 1/P - 1/(1-P), where P is the estimated
probability of treatment (propensity score). If so, there is no need
for -suest-. It is still correct to bootstrap, because otherwise
standard errors will not reflect the uncertainty in the estimated
propensity scores. For an example of how to bootstrap multiple
commands, see

A secondary point: analytic weights are appropriate in two
circumstances: 1) where data were collapsed, as Austin stated, so that
analytic weight = number of sample observations represented by the
data point; or 2) where there is a model for the variance of the
response, so that analytic weight = 1/(estimated variance). Neither of
these applies here, so use probability weights. The choice won't
change the estimated coefficients, but it can affect standard errors.

Steven Samuels
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477
Voice: 845-246-0774