Re: st: how to handle clustering

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <>
Subject   Re: st: how to handle clustering
Date   Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:52:37 -0700

Dear Kate

My feeling is that a multi-level model is still an appropriate model, because you have data at the child and classroom level, with the predictor (intervention) at the classroom level and the outcome at the child level.

In any case, I do not feel you will derive more power from using -regress- with -vce(cluster classroom)- than you would from using -xtmixed .... || classroom:- . In both cases, the standard errors reflect the correlation of observations within classrooms, but with the multilevel model I feel you would have the opportunity to more clearly formulate the model in terms of child level and classroom level predictors.

I hope that helps,

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      -
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics -
Stata tidbit of the week         -

On 2010-07-29 8.36 AM, Kate Welti wrote:

I am analyzing data in which I have treatment and control classrooms
(intervention was at the classroom level) and child-level test scores.
  Ideally, I would use a multi-level model, however, I don't have
enough classrooms and children to do so (according to a power
analysis).  I need to find a way to control for the clustering of
children in classrooms.  Can Stata's cluster option be used in this