Re: st: Replacing missing values only works one way?

From   Eric Booth <>
To   "<>" <>
Subject   Re: st: Replacing missing values only works one way?
Date   Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:30:38 +0000

Please provide an example of your data and the commands you're attempting--it's not clear from your description what "doesn't work" about these commands.   Both commands you provided do work:
sysuse auto, clear
keep rep78
recode rep78 (1=.a)
clonevar rep79 = rep78
replace rep78 = rep78[_n-1] if rep78>=.
replace rep79 = rep79[_n+1] if rep79>=.

What you might mean is that these commands don't always fill in all the missing values.  This is probably happening when you have a run of missings down a column.  So, in the example below, "x" won't be filled in because there are no previous non-missing observations and "y" won't be filled in until there the next value is non-missing:

inp  x y
. 1
. 2
2 .