st: Replacing missing values only works one way?

From   Dana Chandler <>
Subject   st: Replacing missing values only works one way?
Date   Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:13:02 -0500

The command described here works fine when I go one way: replace myvar
= myvar[_n-1] if myvar >= .

However, when I try to replace in the other direction replace myvar =
myvar[_n+1] if myvar >= ., it doesn't work and I have to repeat the
command for each time I want it to copy... Does anyone have any

I've read the below, but it doesn't quite make sense.