RE: st: getting realistic fitted values from a regression

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: getting realistic fitted values from a regression
Date   Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:06:06 +0100

Thanks for the commendation.

It is easy enough to try the -glm- approach _and_ other fixes and to
compare results.

I have found that they give very similar answers in practice. What all
can agree  on is that some kind of fix is needed when your real interest
is predicting on the original scale and a log scale -- or indeed any
other nonlinear transform or link -- was used for the response in
modelling.

David Jacobs

Maarten states the received wisdom on this issue, but in the
econometrics text authored by Jeffrey Wooldridge (Introductory
Econometrics Thompson-Southwestern 2003 ) on pp. 208-9 Wooldridge
suggests a way to obtain unlogged predictions from a regression in
which the regressand is in log form (there have been subsequent
editions of this book but the page numbers I give will be close in
those newer editions).  If one of the statistical experts on this
list is familiar with this approach or is willing to look it up, I'd
be interested in their reaction.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with Maarten's recommendation.  I
found the article he suggests by Cox et al. to be extremely useful
and I'm grateful to him for suggesting it on another occasion.

David Jacobs