st: getting realistic fitted values from a regression

From   Woolton Lee <finished07@gmail.com>
Subject   st: getting realistic fitted values from a regression
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:26:59 -0400

Dear STATAlist,

I have estimated a regression (OLS) using log of patient travel
distance to a hospital predicted by patient, hospital and area
characteristics.  I am going to report the results as marginal effects
that I've computed by obtaining predictions from my estimated
regression computed by fixing some variables and keeping others at
their original values.  However after I compute the predictions, I am
getting unrealistically large numbers.  When I examined the regression
residuals it looks as though the obs with unrealistic fitted values
have larger residuals.  Is there a way to adjust the regression to
better account for this problem?

Thanks,

Woolton