Re: st: Want to load only part of ASCII file

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Want to load only part of ASCII file
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:27:53 -0400

Sometimes the best solution isn't a Stata solution; for this kind of
problem I usually invoke some other software. For instance,
Stat/Transfer will convert a .csv file to a Stata file while retaining
only selected variables, and does not require vast RAM. Or, you can
open in Excel, delete a few columns, and save as a new .csv file;
Excel also buffers to disk and hence needs less RAM. (If you go the
Excel route, though, be exceedingly careful, because Excel makes it
too easy to corrupt your data  - for instance, by sorting a single
column.)

hth,
Jeph