st: Want to load only part of ASCII file

Subject   st: Want to load only part of ASCII file
Date   Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:38:11 -0400

I'm new to Stata, and new to this listserv. I'd like to load a very large ASCII .csv file into a .dta Stata file but it keeps bumping up against the 1.1g memory limit and Stata suggests I "drop some observations or variables." My question is how one can load just a portion of an ASCII file--for example, the specific variables of interest, or only those observations where variable1=xyz--so as to end up with a more manageable Stata file.
A second question is why I can't set memory higher than about 1.3g, when I have about 100g of space left on the computer, but that's probably something my computer & I need to work out between ourselves.