Re: st: RE: RE: difference between robust and cluster option

From   Nils Braakmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: difference between robust and cluster option
Date   Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:07:51 +0200

As far as I know, using -robust- with a fixed effects estimator now
automatically uses -cluster(id)- since some update in version 10.1
(might also be 10.0). The reason (again as far as I know) ist that
Stock and Watson showed in an Econometrica-article in 2008 that the
"normal" robust SEs are inconsistent with a FE-estimator (see James H.
Stock and Mark Watson, 2008: “Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard
Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data Regression”, Econometrica 76(1):
155-174). So, my guess would be that your results are identical
because both of your approaches in fact use -cluster(id)- (and rightly
so).

Best,
Nils