Re: st: combining DHS surveys: what weights to use

Subject   Re: st: combining DHS surveys: what weights to use
Date   Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:24:18 -0400

v005/1000000  will sum to sample size in the recoded DHS data sets;
the unscaled weights are apparently unavailable. If you want weights
for totals, in a single country or across countries, you _must_ first
divide v005 by 1,000,000 and then calculate the new weight NW as Bruno
shows.

The sum of the unscaled weights would also have been a valid estimate
of the population total.  Forcing the user to find an external total
estimate like P1549, is a major reason why I  have disliked the "sum
to sample size" weights. However,  even with unscaled weights, it is
very useful to have an external estimate of the population total for
comparison.  In a recent study, the two estimates differed by a
disturbing amount. I traced the reason to the fact that PSUs had been
selected with equal probabilities, not with probability proportional
to size.  Small PSUs were over-represented, and the sum of the
unscaled weights was too small.  Response might well have been related
to PSU size, so post-stratifying to  an external population total
would not have eliminated bias. The solution was to include  PSU size
category as one of the raking variables, with category  population
totals from the most recent census.

Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]