st: xtmelogit syntax

From   Robin Jeffries <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtmelogit syntax
Date   Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:03:22 -0700

I would like to confirm that this is the correct syntax for a model
with random effects for students, within schools. I am currently using
the following syntax:

xi: xtmelogit outcome covariates || schoolid: || studentid:

but it is taking upwards of 7 hours to run. (35,000 students within 26
schools) In looking at the help file for xtmelogit I read the laplace
option. It says that the laplace option is default when you have
factor variables in the random effects equations. Does that mean that
the syntax above is not correct? Schoolid and  Studentid are
identifiers, and not continuous measures.

Since I want student within school, should it read

 || schoolid: R.studentid  ?

Could someone clarify the syntax?

Thanks,
Robin