st: Re: Varname default in a program

From   Dani Tilley <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: Re: Varname default in a program
Date   Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Nick.

----- Original Message ----

I don't think there is a way to do this with -syntax- but that doesn't

Within your program, after your -syntax- statement you go

if "`pvar'" == "" local pvar "<default>"

as if -pvar()- was not selected, the local macro pvar will be empty. Or,
rather, the local macro pvar will be undefined, but that's the same to

By the way, the -help- for -syntax- should be considered complete, so
guessing that there are undocumented extras is not a good strategy.

From: Dani Tilley <>
To: stata <>
Sent: Fri, July 9, 2010 2:16:13 PM
Subject: Varname default in a program

I'm trying to write a program that will have the following syntax

syntax varlist(min=1 max=5), [Pvar(varname)]

However, I want the to have a default value for pvar so that when users say
-command var1 var2- the program returns no error and uses the default variable
for pvar. I know how this is done for numeric variables but can't do it in this
context. I tried [Pvar(varname default)] where default is a variable but got

Any help is appreciated.

DF Tilley