st: RE: Varname default in a program

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Varname default in a program
Date   Fri, 9 Jul 2010 19:24:23 +0100

I don't think there is a way to do this with -syntax- but that doesn't
matter.

Within your program, after your -syntax- statement you go

if "`pvar'" == "" local pvar "<default>"

as if -pvar()- was not selected, the local macro pvar will be empty. Or,
rather, the local macro pvar will be undefined, but that's the same to
Stata.

By the way, the -help- for -syntax- should be considered complete, so
guessing that there are undocumented extras is not a good strategy.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Dani Tilley

I'm trying to write a program that will have the following syntax

syntax varlist(min=1 max=5), [Pvar(varname)]

However, I want the to have a default value for pvar so that when users
say
-command var1 var2- the program returns no error and uses the default
variable
for pvar. I know how this is done for numeric variables but can't do it
in this
context. I tried [Pvar(varname default)] where default is a variable but
got
r(197).