st: Is -collapse- the Stata's fastest routine to summarize data sets?

From   "Tiago V. Pereira" <tiago.pereira@mbe.bio.br>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Is -collapse- the Stata's fastest routine to summarize data sets?
Date   Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:02:34 +0300 (BRT)

Dear Statalister,

I am eager to know any faster alternatives to -collapse-, because I have
to summarize relatively large data sets for a simulation study. -profiler-
is telling me that most of the computation burden comes from -collapse-.
Do you know (have) any faster alternative? Perhaps a plug-in?

Thanks!

Tiago