Re: st: Subgroup analysis

From   David Bai <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Subgroup analysis
Date   Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:18:56 -0400

I checked the VIF test and didn't find any collinearity issues. Correlation test does not show high correlations either.

Would 28 predictors (mostly are dummy recoding variables of major variables found in the literature) be too many for a sample size of 600? Would you consider that there might be sth wrong with my analysis?

IAssuming the results are correct, can I interpret this as because African Americans are very homogeneous in the distributions of these predictors, and therefore it is hard for the analysis to distinguish any variations in the effects and therefore find non-significance in the results? or other interpretations?

Some of the predictors that are often significant for student success (e.g., parental education, educational aspiration) are significant in my white subsample, but not in the African American student sample, which does not sound reasonable to me. So I am trying to figure out whether there is sth wrong. If nothing wrong, how to interpret the result....Thanks to Dave and anyone else who could provide any insight.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: David Bell <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, Jul 7, 2010 4:13 pm
Subject: Re: st: Subgroup analysis

David-

How about collinearity issues in your African American subsample? Twenty-eight
predictors would make me nervous.

Dave
====================================
David C. Bell
Professor of Sociology
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
(317) 278-1336

On Jul 7, 2010, at 3:35 PM, David Bai wrote:

Thank you, Dave. The African American group has 600 cases, and there
are 28
predictors in the model. The same 28 predictors are used for all subgroup
analysis.

David B