Re: st: glm executes very very slow

From   "G. Dai" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: glm executes very very slow
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:47:45 -0700

I totally agree with the presumption statement. We are all learning by doing.
As a way to find out the reason for the slow, I do the followings.
 r`i'cenreg only takes integer value 1 to 5. obs is about 4000.

First  I use the
  xi i.r`i'cenreg
and then run the command glm by replacing i.r`i'cenreg with _Ir`i'cenreg.
It is still very slow.

And I find only 2  obs with value 1 for the variable _Ir`i'cenreg_5

Second, I drop _Ir`i'cenreg_5 and repeat the above estimation. glm
works through.
not slow any more.

In sum, I guess it is because I only have two obs with r`i'cenreg=5,
which makes the glm very
hard to fit the data and thus very very slow.