Re: st: DOS Shell -windows

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: DOS Shell -windows
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:36:00 +0000

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Ricardo Ovaldia <> wrote:
> I have a "do" file that calls a DOS program, however I want the DOS window to close and the "do" program to continue without me having to type "exit" in DOS. Any ideas how I can do this?

Well you've not told us how you are currently doing this, but -man
shell- ( tells us that -shell-
makes a system call and Stata will wait for the shell to close or the
command to finish (I'll hazard a guess that this is what you're using
as you say you are having to type 'exit' in your DOS prompt).

However, if you were to use -winexec- to start a command prompt (or
any other program) then Stata will continue without waiting for the
program to complete.

So try using -winexec- to call your command prompt/execute your DOS program.

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -