Re: st: Predicted probabilities after Poisson regression

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Predicted probabilities after Poisson regression
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:57:09 +0100

Thank you very much for your responses.  You have been extremely helpful.

Many thanks,

Gillian

Maarten buis <[email protected]>
Sent by: [email protected]
06/07/2010 19:53
Please respond to

cc

--- On Tue, 6/7/10, [email protected] wrote:
> Therefore my outcome, low back pain, only ever takes the
> value of zero or  one.  However, the predicted probability
> of Y>1 is greater than zero, even though my outcome is
> only be zero or one.

-poisson- is a model for counts not binary variables,
so that is  a logical consequence of your model. As long
as the average of your dependent for various values of
your independent variable stays well away from 1 you can
use it to get risk ratios, but that only works when the
predicted probability always remains low, otherwise the
assumpion of contant risk ratios is no longer reasonable.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

--------------------------
Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen
Wilhelmstrasse 36
72074 Tuebingen
Germany

http://www.maartenbuis.nl
--------------------------

ATTENTION:

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
for the addressee(s) only. If this message was sent to you in error,
you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it and
we request that you notify the sender immediately by return email.

Opinions expressed in this message and any attachments are not
necessarily those held by the Health and Safety Laboratory or any person
connected with the organisation, save those by whom the opinions were
expressed.

Please note that any messages sent or received by the Health and Safety
Laboratory email system may be monitored and stored in an information
retrieval system.
Think before you print - do you really need to print this email?

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal's comprehensive email content security
solution. Download a free evaluation of MailMarshal at www.marshal.com