st: RE: capture drop issue

Subject   st: RE: capture drop issue
Date   Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:53:08 +0200

<>

*************
clear
set obs 10
gen obs=_n
gen obs2=2*obs
gen var1=runiform()
gen var2=rnormal()
gen var3=var1*var2
list
drop obs2

loc mydropvars obs2 var1-var3
foreach var of local mydropvars{
	capture drop `var'
	di in r "return code for: `var': " _rc
}
list
*************

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of A Loumiotis
Sent: Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2010 09:43
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: capture drop issue

Hi,

I face the following problem with capture drop varlist.
If one of the variables in the varlist does not exist,  capture drop
does not drop the rest of the variables in the varlist.
I use Stata 11.

Here is an example:

******
clear
set obs 10
gen obs=_n
gen obs2=2*obs
gen var1=runiform()
gen var2=rnormal()
gen var3=var1*var2
list
drop obs2
capture drop obs2 var1-var3
list
*****

I would like my capture drop call to drop var1-var3 but because obs2
is already dropped for some reason capture drop does not drop
var1-var3.
Is there an easy fix?
Thanks,
Antonis Loumiotis