st: Ginis for negative net worth

From   Nora Müller <>
Subject   st: Ginis for negative net worth
Date   Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:32:34 +0200

Dear All,

I'm trying to calculate the gini coefficient for net worth (= financial assets + real assets - debts) that has some negative values.
I do this using the command "inequal7" written by Philippe Van Kerm.

I'm doing an international comparison and for Poland I get a Gini that is 1.15. Can anyone help me with the interpretation?
Why can there be a gini greater than one?

Thanks for your consideration,

Nora Müller, Dipl.-Soz.

Faculty for Social and Economic Sciences
Chair of Sociology I
Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg

Fakultät Sozial- und  Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Lehrstuhl Soziologie I
Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg
Wilhelmsplatz 3
96047 Bamberg