RE: st: Advice: Online material to learn how to create Stata plugins?

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Advice: Online material to learn how to create Stata plugins?
Date   Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:27:23 +0100

Regardless of physical access to manuals, -findit plugin- finds (among
others)

[P]     plugin  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Load a
plugin
        (help plugin)

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Creating and using Stata
plugins
        7/03    http://www.stata.com/support/plugins/

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Using a plugin to connect to a
database
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
K. Crow
        1/07    How do I connect to a database by using a Stata
                plugin?

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/plugin_database.html

SJ-3-4  st0053  . .  From the help desk: Local polynomial reg. & Stata
plugins
        . . . . . . . . . . R. G. Gutierrez, J. M. Linhart, and J. S.
Pitblado
        (help locpoly if installed)
        Q4/03   SJ 3(4):412--419
        provides command for performing local polynomial regression;
        discusses use of a Stata plugin

My stance resembles that of Stas. Plugins are needed by some people for
compelling reasons, principally to hide some source code. For what you
want, it sounds as if translating your C program to Mata is a better
strategy.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Stas Kolenikov

As a quick and dirty solution, you can read your stuff from text files
into locals using -file-. I believe plugins work with the data rather
than with the locals, although I've never tried to figure it out and
write something up. To me, it looks like the era of plugins was
somewhat short-lived, between their introduction in early 2000s and
opening up of Mata around 2005.

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Tiago V. Pereira