st: "insufficient observations" with xtreg

From   Natalie Trapp <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: "insufficient observations" with xtreg
Date   Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:18:19 +0200

Dear all,

this question has already been posed four years ago by Liu Ying on statalist, but I couldn't find an answer to it.

I declared the dataset to be a panel dataset:

. xtset id Year
    panel variable:    id (weakly    balanced)
    time variable:    Year, 2002    to 2004
    delta:    1 year

(the dataset is not complete yet, so I only have two years so far and more than 44.000 individuals)

When I regress the model,

. xtreg y x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6

I get the error: "insufficient observations". Why do I get this error?
Is this maybe due to the short time period or due to missing observations for some individuals?

Many thanks in advance.

Research Unit Sustainability and Global Change
Centre for Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Bundesstraße 55
D-20146 Hamburg