Re: st: float to numeric??

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <>
Subject   Re: st: float to numeric??
Date   Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:23:15 -0700

Greetings Özlen

I think the issues that you are encountering relate to what I covered in the Stata Tidbit of the Week this week at

  I would suggest trying this...

generate double chipeligrated = round(chipeligrate,0.01)

This will create a double precision variable called -chipeligrated- (ending in -d- to signify that it is double precision), but you can call it anything you like. I bet that this will solve your "major troubles".

  Let us know how this goes.

I hope this helps,

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      -
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics -
Stata tidbit of the week         -

On 2010-06-20 7.42 PM, Özlen D. Luznar wrote:
Hi everyone,

  I have a variable stored as float chip eligibility rate variable.  very
straightforward - varies between .1 and 4.  But it is stored as float and
gives me major toruble when I am using the values to generate new
variables etc.  I would like to store it as numeric so that stata can
recognize the values of this variable.  Does anyone have experience with
. codebook chipeligrate

chipeligrate                   chip eligibility rate by year and age and

                   type:  numeric (float)

                  range:  [.1,4]                       units:  .01
          unique values:  40                       missing .:  0/6585

                   mean:   1.92923
               std. dev:   .720279

            percentiles:        10%       25%       50%       75%       90%
                                  1       1.5         2         2         3

I need to chnage this variable and store is as int but I can not figure
out how. So far I tried compress but it seemed to work but when I
described the variable, still float.

  Thanks so much for your help in advance.