Re: st: r-square in -betafit-

From   SURYADIPTA ROY <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: r-square in -betafit-
Date   Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:46:12 -0400

Dear Maarten and Nick,

I had a couple of questions relating to my previous post (and your
replies) on the goodness of fit relating to -betafit- and comparing it
with -reg-, and would have very much appreciated your feedback.

1. Given that these are not nested models, is it justified to do an
lrtest with the -force- option? e.g. the following are the results of
my lrtest where A and B are the results from -betafit- and -regress-
respectively:
lrtest A B, force

Likelihood-ratio test                                  LR chi2(1)  =    297.29
(Assumption: B nested in A)                            Prob > chi2 =    0.0000

On the basis of the above, is it justified to reject the OLS model in
favor of the -betafit- model?

2. Can I compare the (log) likelihood values of the two regresssions
and choose one over the other based on the (higher) value of the (log)
likelihood functions? e.g. for -betafit- Log pseudolikelihood =
404.77487 and for OLS, e(ll) =  256.1320386923957. Thus, can we say
that -betafit- fits better than OLS?

3. Can we directly compare the AIC and the BIC values for the two
regressions given that they are not nested in one another? The AIC and
the BIC values for the -betafit- model are  ( -773.5497, -729.3715),
and that for OLS are (-478.2641, -436.5402).

Your advice and suggestions have been extremely helpful, and are
highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Suryadipta.