Re: st: Polynomial in Time in an Unbalanced Panel

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Polynomial in Time in an Unbalanced Panel
Date   Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:55:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 18/6/10, natasha agarwal wrote:
> I tried
> egen t1=group(year)
> gen t2=t1^2
> gen t3=t1^3
> But am not sure if this is correct for an unbalanced
> panel?

The -egen- step sounds dangerous an un-necessary to me
(regardless of whether this balanced or un-balanced panel
data or cross sectional data). I would just substract
some meaningfull timepoint from your year variable to
make sure that 0 zero is located within the range of
your data. Other than that it looks ok to me.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen