Re: st: Integrating Stata and Vi in Ubuntu

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: Integrating Stata and Vi in Ubuntu
Date   Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:11:02 +0000

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Helge Liebert
<> wrote:
> I have previously used stata and gvim under windows xp and still use
> this set up at work. to work at home i have installed ubuntu on an old
> laptop of mine. i would like to be able to launch do files or parts of
> them from vi, just like i was before. in windows i used the solution by
> d. materov explained here
> which obviously wont work under linux. can anybody help me out? im
> completely new to linux, and being able to execute code from vi is just
> immensely practical.

Longtime GNU/Linux user, but I never got on with Vi(m) so I've no insight.

A quick google suggests its possible (e.g. Vim Docs Chapter 21

No desire to get into a discussion about it but Emacs has the
excellent Emacs Speaks Statistics (see that
supports Stata if you can be bothered to learn Emacs.

One useful interim trick would be to use the mouse to high-light a
section of text and then paste it into the Stata command section by
clicking the left and right mouse button simultaneously (see for an
overview).  This works on virtually everything in GNU/Linux program
and is exceptionally useful (and is the thing I miss most when forced
to use M$ OS's, thankfully there is a small program for windows

Hope that helps a little,

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -