st: Highlighting text in the Stata do-file editor

From   Gabi Huiber <>
Subject   st: Highlighting text in the Stata do-file editor
Date   Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:21:26 -0400

I am having a strange problem with my home installation of Stata --
latest 10.1 MP on Windows 7 currently, but it was present on XP too.
It's that when I occasionally edit do-files in the built-in editor,
the text highlighting is off. For example, I cannot highlight
precisely either `path' or `file' in the line

run `path'`file'

Instead, the highlighted section expands, in seemingly arbitrary
fashion, to include either both words or errant apostrophes as in
`path'` or '`file'.

This does not happen on the work setup -- Stata 11.0 MP on Windows 2008 Server.

I used to think it was a Windows XP quirk but it has persisted on
Windows 7 and it looks like it's peculiar to Stata: highlighting works
properly in both Notepad and Vim.

Has anybody else seen this?

Thank you,