Re: st: Making a local with no assigned value zero

From   Nick Winter <>
Subject   Re: st: Making a local with no assigned value zero
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:12:16 -0400

I've seen things like the following in Stata ado code:

local x1 = `x1' + 0`y1'

Then when `y1' is empty, that becomes

local x1 = `x1' + 0

and when it's not, a zero is prepended to the value of y1, which is always the same as y1.

- Nick Winter

George Chioran wrote:
Dear statalisters, My code goes like
this: local x1 = `x1’ + `y1’. I get the `y1’ variable through repeated loops
and sometimes `y1’ is not assigned any value. When `y1’ does not
have any value, the line local x1 = `x1’ + `y1’ stops my program and I get an invalid
syntax error. My question is: Could
I somehow make the local `y1’ to be equal to zero, or not to be taken into
consideration in my sum in case `y1’ is not assigned any value? Thank you, George

*   For searches and help try:

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics         e
University of Virginia w
S385 Gibson Hall, South Lawn  Map: