Re: st: Cannot open .dta file due to size

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Cannot open .dta file due to size
Date   Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:03:56 +0000

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM, miyu Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a huge dataset (200 GB) which I cannot open on STATA. Is there
> any way I can make STATA to open the set only for selected variables
> or choose the first, say, 100 observations only?

That is indeed a large file, are you sure its saved in Stata format as .dta?

Your best bet might be to open it on the computer on which it was
saved (or identical specification with the same version of Stata
installed).

If however its a text file of sorts that you are trying to -insheet-
you could use something like the 'head -n100 [filename] > subset.txt'
command under UNIX-like OS's (which includes the terminals under MAC
OSX) to get the first 100 lines of the file into the file subset.txt.

If you don't have access to such systems you can install Cygwin which
is a UNIX shell for Windows (see http://www.cygwin.com/).  There may
be a similar native command under the DOS prompt but I'm not familiar
with DOS I'm afraid.

Neil

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/