Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated

From   Michael McCulloch <>
Subject   Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated
Date   Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:19:50 -0700

On this example code of dot plots, how would one change the dots to other shapes?
Following -help graph dot-, I tried:
graph dot (asis) mean*, over(var) name(reshape, replace) dots(msymbol(o d))
but received the error message:
(note: named style smcircle d not found in class symbol, default attributes used

**** begin David's example ****
sysuse auto,clear
local i = 1
foreach var of varlist mpg head turn gear  {
	local l`var' : var label `var'
	local a " `a' `i' `"`l`var''"' "
	local ++i
collapse mpg head turn gear,  by(fore)
stack mpg head turn gear, into(a) clear
label def _stack `a'
label val _stack _stack
bys _s: gen origin = _n -1
reshape wide a, i(_s) j(origin)
label var a0 "Domestic"
label var a1 "Foreign"
graph dot (asis) a*,  over(_s) name(stack, replace)

/* Dave */
sysuse auto,clear
collapse (mean) mpg head turn gear, by(foreign)
foreach var of varlist mpg-gear {
	rename `var' mean`var'
gen row = _n
reshape long mean, i(row) j(var) string
drop row
reshape wide mean, i(var) j(foreign)
label var mean0 "Domestic"
label var mean1 "Foreign"
graph dot (asis) mean*, over(var) name(reshape, replace)

**** end David's example ****