Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <>
Subject   Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated
Date   Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:24:55 -0700

Dear All

As a related point to Nick's comment, I think that these situations show the value of Statalist... tapping the collective smarts of people who came up with two different solutions and a great discussion for a somewhat rare problem. Sometimes the best "documentation" is asking some smart people. Nevertheless, I think this is an interesting enough situation that I have noted this for a future revision of VGSG and also will create a "Stata tidbit of the week" on this in the meanwhile.

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      -
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics -
Stata tidbit of the week         -

p.s. Many thanks for the kind comments on VGSG!

On 2010-06-11 3.03 AM, Nick Cox wrote:
This isn't (meant to be) contentious, but the thread does underline that
none of half-a-dozen experienced Stata users knew the answer just like
that, including Michael Mitchell who has written an entire book on Stata

(I was asleep, but I wouldn't have known either.)

But the solution is documented and the tail statement in

"yvaroptions(over_subopts) allows you to specify over_subopts for the
yvars.  This is seldom done."

appears to be quite correct.

There is a fine line between answering all possible questions and
bloating the documentation further. Sometimes the longer your help
files, the less people are inclined to read through them.

Kieran McCaul

it's really buried away, isn't it.

Changing the look of the category axis is really something I would
expect people would want to do.  Perhaps the Graphics Manual could be
updated to show a few examples.