st: RE: AW: AW: AW: RE: RE: ssc catplot control of label of yaxis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: AW: AW: RE: RE: ssc catplot control of label of yaxis
Date   Sun, 6 Jun 2010 18:13:40 +0100

As Martin said, -oversubopts()- is an undocumented option to my
-catplot- (SSC). So, you'd need to look at the code to see that it was
there -- or as Martin also implies look in the Statalist archives.

It won't work anywhere else, unless exceptionally it's someone else's
option name in their program.

Back to the original question:

1. What is well documented is that -graph bar|hbar|dot- the y axis is
whatever is the response axis, which need not be the vertical axis.
-catplot- follows that principle exactly. Thus with -catplot hbar- the y
axis is the horizontal axis.

2. Similarly, -catplot- like its -graph- parents regards the other axis
as a categorical axis, and not as an x axis.

3. -oversubopts()- was an extra handle put into -catplot- for those who
need it. Not documenting it was a good decision in that it appears that
few users of -catplot- missed it and also said so in my sight; and a bad
decision in so far various handles for tweaking the display were closed
off unless you looked.

!!! note the caveat below

In my files, but not yet public, is a revised version of -catplot- in
which the command in question would be

catplot rep78 foreign, percent(foreign) stack asyvars legend(span
rows(1)) var2opts(label(labsize(small)))

Here -var2opts()- is also idiosyncratic to -catplot-, but it is
documented in the help for -catplot-.

I say again: this syntax is not accessible yet except to myself and a
couple of kind guinea-pigs (otherwise known as "beta testers").

Kaulisch, Marc

I got lost with this sentence in h graph hbar
"The over_subopts -- used in over(varname, over_subopts) and, on rare
occasion, in
    yvaroptions(over_subopts) -- are"

I haven't interpreted it as oversubopts can stand alone. My Stata
experience is not so good to grap the sense of a code in a minute...

Martin Weiss

You need a certain level of experience to tell that there must be more
to the command than meets the eye in its help file. The sentence in -h
catplot- "graph_options refers to options of graph bar, graph hbar or
graph dot as appropriate.  by() is one useful example." tells you that
it is worth investigating. At the same time, you know that Nick`s
-program- is a derivative of an existing -graph- command, so you can
-trace- the thing and see that it issues a call to a certain official
command. Once you know that, you look at the code itself and determine
how you can add options to that call...

Kaulisch, Marc

Thanks a lot. Somehow I haven't seen the tree in the forest... I haven't
thought that oversubopts can be used as an option on its own...

Martin Weiss

Marc may also want to take a look at NJC`s statement here:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-07/msg00974.html

Martin Weiss

You can pass -undocumented- "oversubopts" to -ssc d catplot-, though:

***********
sysuse auto, clear
catplot hbar rep78 foreign, percent(foreign) ///  stack asyvars
ylabel(,labsize(vsmall)) ///  legend(span rows(1))
oversubopts(label(labsize(small)))
***********

Kaulisch, Marc

I might be again missing some features or am not carefully enough
reading the help files, but I have problems to control labels of the
y-axis when I use catplot (ssc) (I would like to avoid to use the graph
editor...). I tried several options but I cannot get a solution (besides
using the graph editor).

My code looks like:
sysuse auto
catplot hbar rep78 foreign, percent(foreign) stack asyvars
ylabel(,labsize(vsmall)) legend(span rows(1))

ylabel controls the x-axis labels; but if xlabel spcified:
xlabels(,labsize(vsmall)) not allowed, xaxis1 does not exist

The yvar-option does not work either:
catplot hbar rep78 foreign, percent(foreign) stack asyvars
ylabel(,labsize(vsmall)) legend(span rows(1)) yvar(label(labs(vsmall)))