Re: st: Using mixlogit as a substitute of xtlogit.

From   Arne Risa Hole <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using mixlogit as a substitute of xtlogit.
Date   Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:57:40 +0100

As Maarten says it is more relevant to compare -mixlogit- with
-xtmelogit- since they both allow for random intercepts *and* slope
parameters while -xtlogit- allows for a random intercept only. In
addition -mixlogit- can handle cases with more than two discrete
outcomes, although this is not relevant for ippab's application. The
other main difference between -mixlogit- and -xtmelogit- is that the
integrals in the likelihood function are approximated by using
simulation in the former case (-mixlogit-) and quadrature in the
latter (-xtmelogit-). As pointed out by Maarten the results should be
similar, but estimation times are likely to be faster with -mixlogit-
when there are several random parameters in the model.

I agree with Nick - a familiar line by now to those who followed the
recent UK election - that it's always a good idea to point out when a
command is user-written.

Arne (author of -mixlogit-)