RE: st: Binary Variables

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Binary Variables
Date   Thu, 3 Jun 2010 00:48:12 +0200

" Alternatively, why not fit your model using -xtreg-"

Natalie did report her frustration re -xtreg, fe- earlier:

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Clive Nicholas
Sent: Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2010 00:38
Subject: Re: st: Binary Variables

Natalie Trapp wrote:

> I have a problem concerning Dummy Variables.
> I use a Dummy Variable for 150 regions within the EU27. When I regress the
> model, I use one region as a reference group, but Stata still
> omits four to five more regions. Is it maybe because the regions are too
> similar in their characteristics so that I have to build groups of similar
> regions? Or is there another way how I can do the regression with all
> regions of interest?

Your later post shows that you are using -reg-. But why not use -areg-
with the -absorb()- option? In that option you would insert one,
simple categorical regional variable.

Alternatively, why not fit your model using -xtreg- with the -i()- and
-fe- options? Your regional variable slots into the -i()- option.

The coefficients and standard errors are the same under both
approaches, as you can see at

but your model R-squared will differ, as explained at

Clive Nicholas

<>. Please respond to contributions I make in
a list thread here. Thanks!]

methodology. I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson.