st: Fuzzy set bestfit question

From   Brooking Gatewood <bgatewoo@exchange.uci.edu>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Fuzzy set bestfit question
Date   Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:50:40 -0700

When running fuzzy set QCA in Stata, we are running into a problem with
having a low # of bestfit results for our sample size.
We have 38 in our dataset, and are only getting 7-11 cases with the "tab
bestfit" command. According to Longest and Vaisey, Stata Journal 2009, the
only reason this should happen is missing data or cases scoring .5 on all
individual predictor sets, and, accounting for these cases, we should get
22.  We're confused as to why we're not getting more cases in the best fit
analysis, and why we only get 1 per case.

I guess the basic question is what does the total # of bestfit paths MEAN
about our data? (as compared to the # of solutions entered as true)?

Any help?

Thanks,

[basic code we used:
fuzzy A C Y D T L,sett(yvv yvn) sigonly greater(col1) common
reduce
tab bestfit]