Re: st: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova
Date   Thu, 27 May 2010 12:02:17 +0100

On 26 Beal 2010, at 12:42, Nick Cox wrote:

Does such a thing even exist? For example, even Kruskal-Wallis is a very limited parody of -anova-. (No scope for handling interactions so far as
I know.)

Kellog Wilson published an extension which dealt with a two-way interaction.
A distribution-free test of analysis of variance hypotheses.
Wilson, Kellogg V. Psychological Bulletin, Vol 53(1), Jan 1956, 96-101

I've never seen anyone use this in real life, however. And a ranks- based MANOVA would seem to me to test a hypothesis that is so hopelessly vague that you have no way at all of interpreting a significant P-value.

Ronan Conroy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)

P    Before printing, think about the environment