Re: st: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova

Subject   Re: st: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova
Date   Wed, 26 May 2010 08:12:42 -0400

"Does such a thing even exist?"

Apparently, yes. A google search of "nonparametric manova" turns up a
permutation test: Austral Ecology (2001) 26, 32–46.  A new method for
non-parametric multivariate analysis of variance, by  Marti J.
Anderson

The test isn't implemented in Stata. And, "nonparametric" doesn't mean
"robust". To quote the paper (p. 37): "Like its univariate
counterpart, which is sensitive to heterogeneity of variances, this
test and its predecessors that use permutations.... will also be
sensitive to differences in the dispersions of points, even if the
locations do not differ."

Steve

Steven Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477
USA
Voice: 845-246-0774
Fax: 206-202-4783

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
wrote: > Does such a thing even exist? For example, even
Kruskal-Wallis is a very > limited parody of -anova-. (No scope for
handling interactions so far as > I know.) >