Re: st: probit vs. logit

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: probit vs. logit
Date   Mon, 24 May 2010 23:36:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 24/5/10, SR Millis wrote:
> Logistic regression is generally preferred over the probit
> model because of the wider variety of fit statistics. Also,
> exponentiated logit coefficients can be interpreted as odds
> ratios---which is not the case with probit coefficients.

A general preference for one or the other is to a large
extend discipline dependent. For example, within economics
the probit is the "default" method. I like interpreting
effects in terms of odds ratios as a way of identifying the
scale, which is unidentified in a probit model (it is
identified by fixing the residual variance to one, which
has all kinds of nasty consequences when interpreting
interaction terms). So, I tend to use the -logit-.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen