st: sts graph: specifying line pattern options

From   Michael McCulloch <>
To   Statalist Statalist <>
Subject   st: sts graph: specifying line pattern options
Date   Sun, 23 May 2010 21:46:26 -0700

In v9 of Stata, I used to specify line pattern options in -sts graph-. In the example that follows, one group would be plotted in a solid line, one in dash, and one in long dash. All in black:

*** begin example
sysuse cancer.dta
stset studytime, failure(died)
version 9: sts graph, by(drug) lpattern(l - _) lcolor(black blue red)
*** end example

In v11, -lpattern()- needs to be contained within option -plotopts-, but in this example below, all three groups have the same line pattern and color:
. sts graph, by(drug) plotopts(lpattern(l - _) lcolor(black blue red))

I tried "formula", but this makes all three groups
sts graph, by(drug) plotopts(lpattern("l - _") lcolor(black blue red))

Any help would be appreciated,

Michael McCulloch, LAc MPH PhD
Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine Street