st: Column types for ODBC

From   Michael Ewens <>
Subject   st: Column types for ODBC
Date   Fri, 21 May 2010 10:50:17 -0700

Dear all:

I am inserting columns of Stata-formatted dates into an ODBC database (MySQL). If one runs

gen date = mdy(month,year,date)
format date %td
odbc insert, dsn(datasource) t(test) u(u) create sqlshow

Stata creates a 'float' column in the new table. If one wants to subsequently use this new table outside of Stata, the date information is effectively lost. Is there a way to force the create option to use particularl column types?

My current workaround first converts the 'date' variable to a string 'YYYYMMDD.' The next step could be to run something like

odbc exec("ALTER TABLE test MODIFY date DATE"), dsn(datasource) u(u)

Unfortunately, this approach requires a line of code for all the date variables in the data. Is there a better approach to dealing with dates and odbc? Ideally, the 'datestring' option available for 'odbc load' would be available for 'odbc insert'.