st: AW: creating observations of non-occurrences

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: creating observations of non-occurrences
Date   Wed, 19 May 2010 17:32:51 +0200

This code can give you hints where to look:

set obs 10
gen byte agentB=_n

tempfile first
save `first', replace

drop _all
set obs 10
gen byte agentA=_n
tempvar tosort
gen `tosort'=runiform()
sort `tosort'
drop `tosort'

merge 1:1 _n using `first', sorted nogen

expand _N, gen(original)
la def orig 0 "original" 1 "fake"
la val original orig

bys agentA agentB (original):  /*
*/ replace agentB=cond(_n!=agentB[1],_n,  /*
*/ agentB[1]+1) if _n!=1

l, sepby(agentA) h(20)