st: RE: loop over tests

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: loop over tests
Date   Sun, 9 May 2010 18:45:52 +0100

Be careful to penalise yourself for this "shotgun" approach.

For once, although I can think of code, I really don't want to make it easier for you to do this. Others can speak for themselves, or more likely remain silent.

Nikolaos Kanellopoulos

I want to run the following tests after a regression command:
sysuse auto , clear
ta rep78, gen(t)
reg price  mpg t1 t2 t3 t4

/*First set of tests: Test each variable with the rest*/
test t1 = t2
test t1 = t3
test t1 = t4
test t2 = t3
test t2 = t4
test t3 = t4

/*Second set of tests: Test all possible combinations*/
test t1 = t2
test t1 = t2 = t3
test t1 = t2 = t3 = t4
test t2 = t3
test t2 = t3 = t4
test t3 = t4

For the first set I do something like:
forv i=1/4{
    local min = `i' + 1
    forv l = `min'/4 {
        test t`i' = t`l'

Is there a way to do a loop for the second set as well and is there a more efficient way for my loop.
In my actual dataset the number of variables I need to test are almost 100.