Re: st: U.S. Census Data

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: U.S. Census Data
Date   Thu, 6 May 2010 13:16:26 -0500

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Martin Weiss <> wrote:
> But careful with such examples: They do not say much about Nate`s problem as
> you are creating the default data type after -gen- which is "float". It
> occupies 4 bytes, as in
> Strings in particular could change the picture.

As you data set is so thin, you also need to worry about the overheads
of statistical and data management procedures. If a particular -ml-
routine wants to create 10 temp variables, and you request -robust-
option that needs scores for every equation, you may see your memory
requirements double or triple. If you need to -reshape- your data set
this way or that way, it may also be problematic, although I don't
know specifically what the memory requirements are.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at