Re: st: U.S. Census Data

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: U.S. Census Data
Date   Thu, 6 May 2010 14:46:21 +0000

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Nate Breznau
<> wrote:
> I am wanting to end my usage of SPSS, and in general have successfully done
> so; however, in a project working with U.S. Census data I need to use a
> datafile that has over 30 million cases and 15 variables. This is the
> smallest version I can use for my purposes. Is there any way to alter Stata
> to work with such a monster file? I've pushed it to its maximum allowed
> memory and its not enough.

What version of Stata and on what platform are you using?

Number of cases is not a limiting factor since Intercooled/SE/MP
versions of Stata can all handle > 2000000000 observations (see

More likely its a memory issue and there are various limits imposed by
a 32-bit OS, and also under M$-Windows.

So go for a 64-bit OS and possibly an alternative to M$-Windows (I've
no idea how much 64-bit Win systems can handle, but suspect its
similar to *NIX type systems which can have Gb's and Gb's of RAM).

"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he
rather gives his mind to each particular case in the light of his
evidence and his ideas." - Sir Ronald A. Fisher (1956)

Email -
Website -
Photos -