st: Is it correct to use frequency weights?

From   Nicolás Rojas <nicolas.srojas@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Is it correct to use frequency weights?
Date   Tue, 4 May 2010 15:14:31 -0400

Hi everyone,
                         I am using a crime survey that apparently has
frequency weights. The instruction manual says that the variable
"weights"  describes how many people each observation represent in the
population. That coincides with the  description of frrequency
weigths.
                      However, I am realizing that this is a two step
survey and therefore other variables (namely, strata variables) also
included in the survey play an important role. That would explain why
using frequency weights give results that are very bizzare ( t test of
90, evrything with three stars etc).
Should I use stata commands for complex survey or should I use another
replication method for computing the standard errors?
Does anyone knows literature specific about that subject?

Thank you very much,

Nicolás Rojas
Ponthifical Catholic University of Chile