RE: st: how to find the integral for a portion of a normal distribution.

From   "Buzz Burhans" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: how to find the integral for a portion of a normal distribution.
Date   Tue, 4 May 2010 10:52:07 -0600

Let me try again, I am sorry I am so dense here.

Suppose I have an intervention applied to cows with a demonstrated mean milk
yield response of +2.05 liters, sd 1.74.

Suppose I am interested a 1 liter cut point.  I know how to find the
proportion of responses at or below the 1 liter response; and the proportion
of responses at or above the one liter response.  This is what you are doing
here, or it can be done with a z score.

My question is, if the response is normally distributed, given n cows, how
many total liters were included or accumulated in the only responses below 1
liter, and how many total liters were accumulated in only the responses at
or above 1 liter.  (Negative responses are possible). My interest is in the
total liters, not the fraction of the total population either above or below
the cutpoint.

This is not the same as the proportion of responders in either category; it
is the total accumulated response above and below my cut point.

I am off to a meeting, so thanks for any further responses - I won't be able
to see them until this evening.

Buzz

Buzz Burhans, Ph.D.

Dairy-Tech Group