st: pweight question

From   Steven Archambault <archstevej@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: pweight question
Date   Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:43:03 -0600

Hi all,

I have some meta data from a survey that says "A weight was calculated
based on the probability that the observation would be included in the
sample." It sounds like a probability weight. However, when I add up
all of the values in the corresponding weights column in the data, the
total is equal to the total number of observations. So, it seems like
these weights are more about how the observations are represented in
the sample. Does anybody have a suggestion as to what I should do with
this weight data? These are households in a cross country survey.

Thanks,
Steve