st: local macro

From   Ekaterina Hertog <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: local macro
Date   Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:17:49 +0200

Dear all,
I was wondering if you could help me clarify something about local macros. I use Stata 11. I have a log do file with probably 100 regressions. I am essentially testing 2 models the 2nd one being an extension of the first in a sense that I use all the variables that proved important in the first model and add some new ones. To make editing easier once I finalised the first model I created a local macro which is a list of variables used in the first model and used it when running out the regressions of the second model. It works fine if I run my whole do file continuously. However, when I want to run just a few lines: e.g. the line with a local macro and some regressions a few paragraphs down which use the macro in question
Stata does not seem to recognise my local macro.
Here is a sample of my commands:
local streglist prsexratio2039 citotalgen osaka age agesq height weight income smoker withfam university goodhealth face3 sightprobl strongintnumb intsexratio streg `streglist' nodes desartokyo desosaka mindesinc if age<=40, dist(gamma) nolog I just wanted to confirm is it possible to use a local macro the way I was trying to and in that case what am I doing wrong? Or is it impossible and I should set a global macro instead?
I will be very grateful for any advice,
Sincerely yours,
Ekaterina Hertog (née Korobtseva)
Career Development Fellow
Department of Sociology and Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies
University of Oxford

27 Winchester Road
United Kingdom