st: AW: leading zeros with decimals

Subject   st: AW: leading zeros with decimals
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:45:35 +0200

<>

Note -help format- on this issue:

"In %w.df, w is the total output width, including sign and decimal point,
and d is the number of digits to appear to the
    right of the decimal point."

"w" is thus the sum of the digits to the left and right, plus decimal
point...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Ann Owens
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 22. April 2010 17:41
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: leading zeros with decimals

Hello,

I have data that need to be formatted with leading zeros and decimal
places. Specifically, I need 4 digits before the decimal and 2 after.
According to the Stata help file for format, I should be able to
achieve this through:

format var %04.2f

However, this does not add leading zeros. It seems like something with
the decimal is throwing it off, because using %04.0f will give me
leading zeros. I've also tried:

gen str7 newvar=string(var, "%04.2f")

with no success (again, no leading zeros). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ann