st: leading zeros with decimals

From   Ann Owens <aowens@fas.harvard.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: leading zeros with decimals
Date   Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:41:06 -0400

Hello,

I have data that need to be formatted with leading zeros and decimal
places. Specifically, I need 4 digits before the decimal and 2 after.
According to the Stata help file for format, I should be able to
achieve this through:

format var %04.2f

However, this does not add leading zeros. It seems like something with
the decimal is throwing it off, because using %04.0f will give me
leading zeros. I've also tried:

gen str7 newvar=string(var, "%04.2f")

with no success (again, no leading zeros). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ann